This blog covers the latest news about a Lithuanian basketball talent Jonas Valanciunas.
Jonas Valanciunas (born in 1992) is a 7’0” / 245 lbs (213cm / 111kg) center currently playing for BC Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuanian Basketball League. According to 2011 NBA Pre-Draft Camp measurements, his wingspan is 7’4”, and his standing reach is 9’3”.
Jonas Valanciunas has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft. He is projected to be the #5 overall pick according to NBA.com Consensus.
Valanciunas is one of the most dominant players of his generation in Europe; his numerous achievements so far include:
- MVP of the European U16 Basketball Championship in 2008 after leading Lithuania to the championship title. Valanciunas averaged 14.3 points, 11.1 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per game in 8 games, while posting a double-double 5 times. He also finished the tournament as the leading shot blocker and second-best rebounder as was included on the All-Tournament Team.
- Led BC Lietuvos Rytas to the Finals of the EuroLeague Nike International Junior Tournament 2009, and was voted to the All-Tournament Team, posting 22 points, 13 rebounds, and 5 blocks in the final game.
- Was voted to the All-Tournament Team in the U18 European Basketball Championships 2009, where Lithuania finished 4th. Valanciunas averaged 19.3 points (2nd), 10.5 rebounds (4th), and 2.6 blocks (2nd) in this tournament.
- Lithuanian Basketball League champion (2009-10 season) and runner-up (2010-11 season) with BC Lietuvos Rytas.
- MVP and All-Tournament of the European U18 Basketball Championship in 2010 and European champion with Lithuanian team. Valanciunas averaged 19.4 points, 13.4 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks per game. Posted 31 points and 18 rebounds in the Final game vs Russia. He finished the tournament ranking 1st in 8 statistical categories (incl. rebounding, FTs attempted and made, FG percentage), and 2nd in 4 others (incl. scoring and blocked shots).